Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Rhoden Family Reunion 2009

106 years ago Myrtle and Wylie Rhoden joined in marriage and created out of love the "Rhoden Family." They were blessed with 8 children: Bernice, Mabel, Lela, Louis, Rommie, Irene, WJ, and Louise. And today years later we are not only united by our blood, but mostly by LOVE. And this is why for 60 plus years we have been gathering in Sheridan, Arkansas each summer to celebrate family, friendship, love, and great southern cooking!



This year Colter and I packed our bags and headed to Sheridan for a 5 day trip! This is Colter's third visit and he just loved it. By the end of the first day Colter had everyone's name down, and would yell it until he got their attention....Cody, Cody, Cody.....COOOOOOOOODY! We spent the first evening at my Aunt Irene's house where we had dinner and visited.



The next day despite all the rain we made it back out to Aunt Irene's and got to see more cousins! Colter and Sydney Kate had a blast running up and down the hallway all evening. And each time Sydney would catch Colter she would lay a big kiss on him! Maybe this is why he was running?



Friday, we visited Terry and Anne at their home. Colter is still talking about how he saw cows at Terry's. I think that was the highlight of his trip. As long as I can remember on Friday evening the family who could make it had dinner at The Whippet. I am guessing we had about 50 family members there. I bet they dread the Rhoden Reunion....we really put them to work! After TheWhippet we traditionally head to Terry and Anne's house to celebrate Terry's birthday...we eat cake, chat, and chase the kids around.



Then Saturday is the big day! Typically around 3pm we meet at someone's house for the reunion. This year it was suppose to be at Owen Lee and Linda's, but due to all the rain we had to move it to the church gym. This was great for the kids, they had an entire gym to run wild. By this time Colter was attached to my cousin Sean, because he made the mistake of throwing Colter up in the air over and over again. Well...poor Sean had to keep doing this all afternoon, since Colter would run up and say "ready...jump." Now how can you turn that down...bet he will next time. Colter is still today saying "ready Sean." So thanks to Sean I am building my arm muscles! Once everyone arrived Darrell said Grace and we began to chow down on some of the best food you could ever imagine.....Chicken, ribs, brisket, chicken and dumplings, sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, potato casserole, green beans....if it was a southern dish we had it! After about 6 hours the family packed things up and we headed back to either Aunt Irene's house or Owen Lee and Linda's, for a little more chatting, some relaxing, and card playing. Then it was time for Colter and I to say our goodbyes and head back to the hotel, so we could leave in the morning back to Texas.



We had a great trip and can't wait to see everyone again next year! One thing about our family is even though we may only see each other once a year we pick up right where we left off with out skipping a beat. And if you are lucky enough to be part of this amazing family you will forever be hugged, kissed, and loved.....





The TEXAS Kids sporting their TEXAS jerseys




Olivia catching Colter


Aunt Irene (my Mimi's sister) and Colter or as Colter would say "I" rene!!!


Anne and Colter

Sweet Sydney Kate


Laura (my sister) and Aunt Irene


Colter and Sydney playing chase


My favorite picture....she caught him!


Sweet Kisses!

Oh NO more KISSES!


Ok I give up!


COOOOOOODY as Colter would say

Seth and his sweet little girl Sadie


The kids playing a game

Delores aka Dee and Colter

Just hanging out at Aunt Irene's house

I think I can see better with this!

My precious nephew Ryan...what a big boy!


My cuz Lisa and Sydney

Laura and Annette

Say cheese!

Too cute...Colter giving Lisa some love


Cutie Pie Sadie

Terry and Colter having a serious conversation!


Kisses for Colter...boy was he spoiled!


My sis-in-law Lisa and my nieces Madison and Allison

Ryan and Terry

Colter playing peekaboo at Terry and Anne's house

My Anne and ME!


The kids playing at The Whippet

If there is a bucket then it will find its way to Colter's head

Happy Birthday Terry!

There is that cute baby again with his Aunt Laura


Aunt Irene, Delores, Louise (my mimi), and Linda

Megan and Laura (they aren't related are they?)

That is about right!


No they are NOT dancing...Darrell is trying to get Terry with cake!


Allison, Isabelle, and McKinley

Owen Lee and Pat (my mom)

Oh no Sean don't do it....READY JUMP!

Colter jumping....he was so happy!

The kids playing at the reunion


Doyle, Carroll Dean, my mom, and Ryan


Olivia, my niece


Madison my other niece

Oh there is another one....Allison


Isabelle...such a doll!


Seth, Alicia, and Sadie (their oldiest is Isabelle in pic above)

My girl Delaney


They aren't having fun are they?


Allison sporting her Razorback jersey....if you notice all the Texas kids are wearing Razorback jerseys

Lisa feed that boy he too skinny!


Sharon and Aunt Irene

Mimi and her best friend Aunt Marge


Barbara, Noah, Luke, and Nancy....ok just one more, ok one more...


The sweetest boy ever....CHASE!


Megan and Alicia

Lisa and Katy (Sydney's momma) working hard in the kitchen


Amy taking a break to pose for a picture!


Crazy Girls!

Debbie, Saundra, and Laura


Saundra, Abby, Kaitlyn, Holly, Bailey, and Rhonda


Colter and Cody taking a break from playing chase

GO HOGS!

Well HELLOOOO


Smile Darrell

Where is Sydney?

Here comes Sadie

YES...it has wheels!

Darrell saying Grace



Terry and Anne

Pretty Aunt Irene


Where is my dinner?


Our attempt at a family picture....pretty good!






Aunt Irene and Delores

Katy and Me


Girls!!!!


Colter and Megan

Laura and Delaney

Sweet picture

Delaney and Sean

Sean and his son McKinley

Chit chatting

BOY talk

Michelle and Phyliss

Cousin LOVE....did I eat the fried chicken or wipe my face with it??


BUSTED!


My souvenier from Arkansas...

No comments:

Post a Comment